The Ten Commandments were given by God to His people centuries ago and continue to provide a framework for understanding what God expects from us and how we are to treat one another. Learning the Ten Commandments should be among the basic Bible skills that children learn when they are young. Learning such things at a young age will make them easier to remember as kids mature into adults.
Sunday School Zone has a number of free resources that can help the Christian parent or Bible teacher understand the 10 Commandments for kids and teach them to the children for whom they are responsible.
Interpreting the 10 Commandments for Kids
Interpreting the 10 Commandments for Kids provides a simple historic and interpretive overview of these foundational biblical mandates. It is available as an article and a downloadable PDF.
Printable Activities About the Ten Commandments
All printable Bible activities on Sunday School Zone are free and come as downloadable PDFs. The following activities are related to the 10 Commandments…
- God Gave Moses the Ten Commandments Bible Craft – This fun hand craft will help children begin memorizing the Ten Commandments.
- God Gave Moses the Ten Commandments Coloring Page – This printable coloring page illustrates Moses with the stone tablets and will encourage children to remember that God has not left us without instructions for living.
- 10 Commandments Word Tiles – This word tiles activity says, “God gave me rules to help me obey Him.” Let your children put this word tiles puzzle together, then talk to them about the importance of knowing and following God’s laws.
- 10 Commandments Word Search – This word search puzzle highlights elements found in the Ten Commandments. It’s a fun puzzle, and it reinforces details of the story of God’s giving Moses His laws.
- 10 Commandments Jigsaw Puzzle – This 8-piece jigsaw puzzle depicts Moses coming down from the mountain with the Ten Commandments God had revealed to him.
- 10 Commandments Hidden Numbers – In this image, Moses is coming down from the mountain carrying the tablets on which God had written the Ten Commandments. Hidden in the picture are the numbers 1 through 10, and they’re not all easy to spot. Can your boys and girls find them all?
- 10 Commandments Color by Number Page – This color by number activity carries an image children may remember for a long time. As he descends the mountain, Moses is carrying the tablets containing the Ten Commandments.
- Moses and the Ten Commandments Story Illustration – A beautiful, full-color illustration of Moses carrying the tablets given to Him by God containing the 10 Commandments.
Scripture pages or posters on Sunday School Zone are professionally-designed pages with selected texts so kids can place the page on a wall or mirror as a way to remember and review what they have learned. The following Scripture pages are related to the Ten Commandments.
- The Ten Commandments Scripture Page – This printable scripture page (poster) lists all of the 10 Commandments and will help children learn that God has revealed to us how He wants us to live. Other posters are provided for each of the Ten Commandments.
- Do Not Have Other Gods Besides Me Scripture Page – This scripture poster can serve as a simple reminder to children that God is to be their first love.
- Do Not Make an Idol for Yourself Scripture Page – This printable scripture poster will help children learn that we must allow the Bible (God’s self-revelation) to inform our understanding of Him, not a physical object or image.
- Do Not Misuse the Name of the Lord Scripture Page – This printable scripture poster will help teach kids that we are to live in such a way as to honor the God we claim to serve.
- Remember the Sabbath Day Scripture Page – This printable scripture poster will help children remember that Yahweh is King!
- Honor Your Father and Your Mother Scripture Page – This printable scripture poster will emphasize to kids the need to respect and honor their parents.
- Do Not Murder Scripture Page – This printable scripture poster will underscore for children the value of human life and the need to protect it.
- Do Not Commit Adultery Scripture Page – This printable scripture poster will help kids understand that husbands and wives are meant to be just for one another.
- Do Not Steal Scripture Page – This printable scripture poster displays this important commandment and will remind children that we are to respect the property of other people.
- Do Not Give False Testimony Scripture Page – This printable scripture poster will encourage kids to pursue integrity and truth in all of their communication.
- Do Not Covet Scripture Page – This printable scripture poster will help teach children that we are to be satisfied with what we have.
The Ten Commandments provide timeless principles for both individuals and society as a whole that foster healthy lives to the glory of God. The younger a child is when they learn the 10 Commandments, the more likely he or she is to remember and respect them for life.
Author, Speaker, Bible Teacher
See a list of other articles by Rick Edwards.